Had this on my list todo list, upgrade my laptop that just had plain old SQL 2008 on it. The first part of the install went smooth until it got to the rule checks and then an error related to :
Luckily I wasn’t the first person to get the Sql2005SsmsExpressFacet error. The first search took me to a post by Jasper Smith that indicated it was tied to a registry key created by SQL Prompt. I didn’t have that key, or didn’t think I did, and had the v4 of SQL Prompt installed. Some more reading led to a post by Jason Follas that referenced a similar key under WOW. Removed that, re-ran the rules, and as I write this waiting on the rest of the bits to apply.
One more win for bloggers posting lessons learned.